Tuesday, 19 July 2011

How Are Evaluation Techniques Used for Different Learning Styles?

I think that there are a variety of ways to assess students that allows students' understanding to be evaluated according to their unique learning style. Too often, however, I do not feel that a lot of teachers utilize a wide enough span of evaluation techniques. For example, I recall a teacher I had in high school who only evaluated us through tests. This was very limiting for a variety of learners. While I understand the place of tests in a classroom, I also acknowedge the benefits of providing students with additional ways to present their learning throughout the rest the of the course. As a visual learner, I always appreicted the opportunity to present my understanding theough posters, projects, and power points. Sometimes, my answers to questions on tests did not show an accurate reflection of my understanding. Often, questions could be marked as either right or wrong. Sometimes, when I had some understanding of the concept, this was not evident on tests with these kinds of questions. These questions were distinctly right or wrong rather than giving me the opportunity to show at least some degree of understanding like a poster, essay, etc. would permit.

Any good teacher will acknowedge that students learn in different ways. However, this is only a valid acknowedgement if the teacher follows through by assessing students in different ways. This is not to say that a teacher should evaluate each student differently on each task; this is not practical nor reasonable. Yet, I think the key word in evaluating for differnt learning styles in variety. In terms of assessment and evaluation, this refers both to the ways students may present their learning and the manner in which it is evaluated. Much like students learn in differnt ways, teachers should assess students in different ways, allowing for all students to have chances to be successful. This means teachers should use formative assessment and summative assessment including some or all of the following methods: observation, written assignments, projects, presentations, quizzes/ tests, posters, pictures, and other methods.

No comments: