Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Socio-Cultural Perspective

From what I understand about socio-cultural theory by Vygotsky, is that it suggests that thought and behavioural development depends on interaction with others (classmates, teachers) and also depending on the tools the culture provides, it can help students create their view of the world. I feel if students interact with various people from different cultures it will allow them to gain new insight and help them develop new thoughts and perspectives. This can be achieved through cooperative learning because students will be working together in groups and sharing their thoughts and ideas.

When I first wrote my self-contract, I wasn't in-depth and I had very few things to say. But because I have learned so much, I now realize how important some topics are. I never thought about attending to everyone's different needs which is very important for students . And I never thought about learning my own personality type let alone my students personality types. Now I know how vital it is to know my personality type and my students personality types so I can accommodate them and help them thrive and succeed. Also, I never thought of teaching my students about their own personality types and others in the class. So I feel when I become a teacher, I should make learning about personality types a part of my lesson because it will help students learn about the different types of learners and understand that not everyone learns the same. I should also try to incorporate different activities that will accommodate the different types of learners.


In all schools, there are a variety of students from different cultures who learn in different ways. By learning and teaching about the different personality types, students will understand that everyone has different insights and learns differently. But teachers must learn about their students personality types right away so they can try to provide their students with lessons and activities for them to succeed and avoid having students treat their classmates differently because they learn differently.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Breanna, I feel the same way as you do. I had not put too much thought into attending to the different needs, and thinking about the variety of learners that exist in a classroom. If we teach students about their personality types and understand our own, then we begin to develop better understandings between the teacher and students--students also understand each other better.