Wednesday, 6 July 2011

What can I offer to encourage empowerment & agency in the classroom

-Understanding
-Humor
-Care

lighten up! its not the end of the world, students misbehave and teachers just need to deal with it. But what is key is how to deal with it.

-First you need to understand were the student is coming from, and how they might be feeling

-Second, Do not take it personal, get irritated, aggravated, annoyed, angered. Try to use humor to diffuse the situation.

-lastly show that you care about the student "Henry I know that your feeling frustrated is that why you told Sophia to shut up? Would you like to apologize to Sofia and then I can sit down and help you with you math?

I love the chapter "P.S Thank Ms. Farnell" in Mamchur, she puts it best, "effective professional helpers: are those who feel identified with the student, rather than against; who cares about the student on a personal rather than an impersonal level; who are concerned with larger goals and issues rather than small, immediate behavioral objectives; and who perceive the student as able, rather than unable of indifferent(109).

No comments: