Certainly, the right kind of feedback to students has a significant impact on their future performance and achievement. It’s important that student knows why he/she got an A, an B, or an C for his/her assignment. When teacher provides students with instructive suggestions and comments related to their work, the feedback improves learning process. It’s why it’s said: “Feedback has been shown to be one of the most significant activities a teacher can engage in to improve student achievement” (Hattie, 1992).
It’s necessary to note that an effective feedback, in addition to be instructive, must be timely. If the teacher delays in providing students feedback, it will lose its value for learning. Also, before assessing students, the teacher should provide them with criteria according to which they will be assessed. This way, when receiving feedback, students will be more conscious what feedback is about. I think an effective feedback must be explicit and informative to help students to see their errors and to learn how to correct them. This will be the way feedback becomes another part of learning process.
1 comment:
I agree with you. Feedback is very important to scaffolding a student's learning. I also agree that the timing and effectiveness of the feedback is important. Giving feedback at an inappropriate time, or providing negative feedback can only hinder this scaffolding. There are so many "traps" to evaluation that I worry I may fall victim to them.
Post a Comment