When socio-cultural influences are being talked about, I think of external factors that can influence one's thinking and learning. I think that Vygotsky and Gardner both pose really good theories about how one functions and acts in different environments. I find Gardner's multiple intelligences really fascinating because he is able to categorize people into different realms, just like Mamchur's personality types.
The main thing that I got from both our unit on personality types and Gardner's multiple intelligences is that everyone is very different. Everyone learns, thinks, and acts very differently in different environments. Even though I think that the world is not as simple as just characterizing each person into their own personality and intelligence type, I think that these categorizations do speak about something that is unique to each of us. And I think that Mamchur's personality types and Gardner's multiple intelligences is just a way to start talking about what is special about each of us.
As for my self-contract, I would like to see myself as being a teacher that can be a balance between strict and approachable because I would like my students to understand why there are rules in the classroom yet not be afraid to ask me about any problems they have. I know that my every little detail in my classroom and each student's backgrounds will have an effect on how both my students and myself will turn out because socio-cultural factors can play a great role in the classroom. Even though I think that socio-cultural factors can play a role in how people in the classroom may turn out, I am open to many different theories. If I were to teach in the near future, I would make sure I get a well-rounded view of all the theories out there and hopefully decide on those with which I think are most important.
No comments:
Post a Comment