Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Socio-cultural perspective

Factors of learning in a socio-cultural perspective suggests that social interaction is ideal for students as it fosters and shapes their thoughts, behaviours, beliefs, values, etc. Depending on culture and the environment/places that students live in, these aspects will be influenced. According to Vygotsky’s theory, interactions with people and their cultures can help students gain alternate perspectives and insights to understand their own thought and views of the world, I agree with this as people can have similar experiences and knowledge about things, but they are never identical.

In my future practices and with the consideration of my personality type, I see myself incorporating the multi-intelligences. Looking back on elementary school, I most enjoyed classes and retained the things that were being taught by the teachers that had included the bodily/kinesthetic, musical, and interpersonal intelligences in their lessons. I think that children are most motivated and engaged in the learning they do when it is accompanied by one of the few intelligences that I have listed. Also as we live in a multicultural society, we interact with diverse groups of people every single day. I think children learning to interact with others who are similar and different from themselves is very important. I believe this skill should be learnt at a young age as when these children grow up, they will be immerse into the larger society and will be continuously interacting with different groups of people in their everyday lives.

No comments: