Through my high school and university years the evaluation techniques used were most suitable for sensing and thinking students. Tests, quizzes and essays were used to give marks for students. There were not assessment tools like porfolios. They may have been used for courses like art and drama but not in what were considered the core subjects. It must have been difficult at times for intuitive and feelings students as they had to perform assessments that are not compatible with their personality. I can relate somewhat as when I started 401/402 I found out that the course was a pass/fail. I was frustrated at first because as a sensing and thinking individual I want clear and concise directions on what needs to be done and what is required for certain grades. I expected marks and a letter grade to show how I did in the class. It took some time to realize the process for successful completion was the process itself. Assignments had to be completed with certain criteria but they were for enduring understanding rather than just for marks.
As mentioned beforehand tests, quizzes and tests are most relevant for sensing and thinking learning styles while portfolios are suited for all students, but I believe more relevant for those with intuitive and feeling learning styles. Other evaluation techniques are suited to varying degrees for all students. Informal checks for understanding is ongoing assessment that provides feedback to students and teachers but not marked or graded, which is beneficial for intuitive and feeling students. Academic prompts are open ended questions or problems that require students to think critically and complete a specific activity. These activities are open with no one correct answer and involve analysis and evaluation. Thus, prompts are relevant for intuitive and feeling students. They also suit for thinking and sensing students because of the evaluation involved and because there is criteria that has to adhered to and it requires judgement based scoring.
No comments:
Post a Comment