Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Narrative in Teaching and Learning- Teacher as a Researcher

Before reading the article, I never thought of a teacher as a researcher; however, looking closely at the role of a teacher reveals one as a researcher. When teachers are observing their students and finding ways to help each individual, teachers are researching into their students in how much they are capable of and what skills they need to work on. Teachers are looking for ways to make learning easy for students, and make adjustments in lessons if required; thus, this would also be considered researching as teachers are using books and thinking about ways to develop their lessons. As Gabriella Minnes and Lynn Fels says, “For us, researching as meaning making became a project of interruption, of intervention, of pause and reflection, of re-searching new ways of engagement” (2006); I believe same goes for teachers, who are always searching for ways to make their lessons engaging and meaningful for students. I agree with Krystal that “researching should be a constant act that a teacher does” (Krystal Ng, July 27, 2011); as teachers constantly research and reflect on the various activities, students would feel more motivated to learn, without feeling vulnerable about school. I feel that as a potential teacher, I would be always researching to find ways to become a better teacher, and figure out how to help my students learn better. Also, interacting with other staff and parents, and reading books are also a way of researching, where we search for alternatives to how lessons, activities, etc. are being delivered; thus, improving in the profession of teaching.

No comments: