Are contracts possible as effective classroom management for all learning styles? I do not think so. According to the textbook Carolyn Mamchur’s Cognitive type theory and learning style, the intuitive students are “inventive learners who like to make up possible hypotheses, explanations and ways of dong things, as they go along.” (Page 33).
In here, I am not saying that we do not need to make certain rules in the classroom, or we do not need to manage the classroom; my opinion is: contract will not be as effective classroom management for all learning styles, since children’s learning preference are different; therefore, the contract will definitely restrict some children’s natural, and they can not grow up happily. If we make children to write down a contract, they will feel that they get the restriction in their head. For sure it is not a big deal for some kids, but for others, especially the intuitive students will feel they lose “freedom”, and it scares them to think freely, act freely and work freely.
Children’s interest and goal are easily to be changed, and sometimes, the changing is better. My suggestion is, maybe make a contact in a more broad way, for example, we let the children can set the “direction” by themselves, and we can direct them to the destination. They are allowed to change the specific rules by themselves; however, once the main goal has been settle down, they can not change it.
2 comments:
I have to disagree with you, yes the contract restricts freedom...but isn't that the whole point? it is to show them that they have made the decision of restricting their own freedom..not the teacher...or the contract...and it is only them(the student) that can make the choice to regain their freedom by choosing to be respectful and behave appropriately for the classroom...
I do agree it might not work for all personality types..or even some children with special needs...because this self realization may be harder to come by or may never come at all...however what's the harm in giving it a try..you never know it might work out...and if it doesn't at least you tried and you can move on to the next strategy..
If misbehaviour is constant and depending on the severity of the behaviour of a student, a contract could be imposed as a last resort. I do agree that contracts do limit freedom, but not to the point where students are denied the opportunity to become involved with the teacher, staff, parents, etc. to seek a solution for the problem.
I do think contracts can be effective for students with the different learning styles. As for students with special needs, I’m uncertain whether it will be success or not due to the numerous varying factors; I agree with Natasha that by not giving it a try, we will not know whether it is possible or effective. I believe the role that parents plays in dealing with contracts is really important; I agree that in order for contracts to be effective, parents need to "help design and implement the plan" and also "support and/or carries out the consequences" (B&S p.297). I can sympathize with Lynne's mom on p.301, no one wants to "punish" his or her own child and can often be "manipulated" by tears. But in such a severe situation, by not carrying out with the consequences in a formal contract, the child will not understand and continue with her habits because she thinks she can continually get away with whatever they’re doing. So the role of getting the parents to cooperate and follow through, really determines the efficacy of a formal contract like the example with Lynn.
Post a Comment