Discipline need not be achieved through punishment. More effective than punishment, I think, is rewarding students for good/model behavior, however, even that has negative effects. Students will not realize the importance of their good behavior and will probably do it simply for the reward. It's important that they know some behaviors hurt people or disrupt the learning environment and that they should not do it for that reason, and not because the teacher said so or that they will receive a reward for it.
I like that B&S offer a positive way to modify behavior while at the same time, allow the students to "save face" and preserve their dignity through making choices. The choices provided by the teacher are limited; nonetheless, they do not impose consequences right off the bat such as "if I see the iPod again, I'll take it from you." It avoids the student reacting defensively and opposing to your assertion of power, and not what behavior you would like them to change. I like that there remains a level of respect for the student, because students deserve to be spoken to in a respectful way, too. Many times, teachers use the "because I said so" or "because I would like you to" and impose their way onto the student, but do not explain why they would like things done a certain way.
By completing the III test, I got the result ESTJ in chapter 10. Being the realist that I am, I can sometimes be pessimistic and that provides a challenge for me in the "positive" department if I am giving students EFFECTIVE choices. They are meant to be positive and encourage students to "make the right choice," and I would need to keep my emotions in check.
No comments:
Post a Comment