I believe one of the most significant differences between discipline and punishment is that discipline allows students to learn from their mistakes rather than making them suffer for what they did incorrect. Discipline in the classroom will teach students self-control, identifying acceptable limits, and respect. I thought this definition of discipline paints a clear picture of its purpose, “to develop (children's) behavior by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control”. In addition, the word discipline is derived from the word disciple, which refers to one who learns.
Furthermore, I believe that teaching discipline in the classroom must be achieved through positive means. Bennett and Smilanich provide a number of positive, effective ways to respond to misbehavior such as language attribution, providing a choice, and describing the situation and what usually occurs. All of these examples place the responsibility back with the students; they are given a choice and can decide if they want to stop misbehaving. I believe that implementing techniques that provide students with choice will help students understand that their actions are ultimately their responsibility.
1 comment:
I agree making the student feel they have a sense of responsibly and consequences definitively puts the ball in their court...what they decide is up to them, and the blame could no longer be put on the teacher.
I think turning discipline/punishment into a learning tool is the most effective use of it, and in turn, it will probably yield a greater chance of success in the end.
Post a Comment