Wednesday, 15 June 2011

Discipline VS Punishment

I had always thought of Discipline and Punishment to be interchangeable terms, but after reading Niomie's definitions they are very different. I now see discipline as something that is taught and can be used by choice where as punishment is an act to teach a lesson so that one will next time make a better choice.

In my reading of Bennett and Smilanich I first felt sceptical of the third and fourth Bumps, choices and implied choices. I felt that the "Testers" on page 231 were much like punishments even though they are strategies that teachers use in the classroom to keep children following the rules. To me they seemed more like treats to force children to follow the rules rather than choices that they were making themselves. But with further analysis, I think that children must learn that their actions are choices that they are making themselves and it is the teachers job to help student understand that each choices results in different outcomes. If children learn the difference better a good choice and a bad choice it will help them later in life. What B & S are really trying to say is that the onus must be put in the hands of children so that they learn to be responsible for their actions.

I also felt that Breanna brought up a good point about the role of the teacher. She said that it is important for teachers to "make the choice a reality". Making the choice a reality is an integral part of the students understanding of their actions. We as university student understand this, if we hand an assignment in late it gets marks off. Learning to make the choice to finish an assignment early helps you out in the long run as a student.

I don't want to come across that I think punishment is not a good thing, I think that punishment and discipline need to be in balance in the classroom. It is important that children learn that their actions matter to their classroom community and they can learn this through discipline and punishment.

In my reading of Mamchur I felt very frustrated. A few weeks ago I completed my Myer-Briggs test and I am a "Healer". Yet when I completed the questions I did not feel that I was exactly one or another and sometimes just had to pick a side. Some if my reading is not accurate should I really base my teaching philosophy around it? On the other hand it has made me analysis myself in a different way and others around me, which are helpful tools when working with others. So in response to Mamchur, I did not want to take another personality test in Chapter 10 where I felt I was not 100% of either answer, but rather sometimes to each answer. One thing that she brings up that I thought was really valid was that "type theory does not judge, it informs"(65). I think I am judgemental of my own type and maybe that is why I maybe resistant in some sense and if I just use the information to find ways to work and connect to others then it is very valuable.

No comments: