Sunday, 19 June 2011

contracts: are they successful for all

I loved loved loved the article by Nan Nassef "I Shouldn't Be Telling You This..."

I am not yet a teacher, but hope teach in the near future...and I feel my volunteer experience in an elementary school has discouraged me from doing so..(feeling of disengagement/motivation)

However, after reading Nassef's article I was encouraged not to give up. Being my first and only experience working in a school...I now feel encouraged to seek other alternatives...youth groups... high school... special needs..mentoring..international volunteer.

There are so many avenues to be explored in the sphere of education and it is up to me discover them!
If I must admit defeat like Nassef at the end of this explortation, it is OK, its not the end of the world, its all part of the process of self-growth.

P.S. I think I was supposed to write something about self-contracts in here so...yes I like them they are a good and effective tool in managing repetitive, out of control, and extreme cases of classroom behavior... obviously personalized to meet each individual student needs.

-they advocate a positive atmosphere
-they teach student responsibility
-they can produce change

My contract
-maintain firm position with a positive outlook
-clear, simple, straight to the point
-know what is expected and the outcomes/consequence if failed or completed
-able to maintain respect and acquire successful change

1 comment:

sabrejag said...

I am encouraged by your misgivings about teaching in our school system. I have the same as I have not spent any time in the classroom in the B.C. educational system. My experience has been with college age students or in a high school in China. Those experiences have been great and so I encourage you to explore them.If if I realize teaching in high school is not for me, I will move on and and use the contacts I have required to go overseas.I like your wording "extreme cases of classroom behaviour" in regards to contracts. It reminds me to use contracts as a last resort and not to use them at will. I still have to manage the classroom to the best of my ability before deciding upon a contract and all the ramiifications once when it is signed.