I agree with the statement that it"is worthwhile understanding the characteristics of a power-orientated student." (B & S, page 258) By understanding an individuals personality, the teacher can stay calm for the inevitable power struggle. As it says in the textbook a quick pause before confrontation will always be helpful.
With a firm grasp of each student's characteristics it hopefully will be more likely that teacher responses to power situations will work and not end up with banishment to the principal's office. The first time misbehavior leads to banishment will change the relationship between the pupil and teacher, hard feelings may arise. When this happens to me, I have to be careful not to hold any type of grudge. My ego may be bruised as I may feel I lost a bit of control of my classroom.
I found two of the respones in B & S's chapter worthwhile to note.I have found 'ignoring' works in the few times I have taught, however that occurred only with late students. They all have been Japanese students and all came in sheepishly without seeking attention in any form.
Short circuiting has its place in the classroom and I believe it is best for minor lapses in behaviour. The example of the racial comment on page 269 would not be a time for humour at all. Not at all. The racist comment needs to be addressed immediately and the student dealt with severely. I wonder how the rest of the class felt when the "Aunt Jemima" comment was made. Were there any African-Canadian students in the class? If so, what did they think of the teacher's response?
1 comment:
Hi Jag. The TOC handled the Aunt Jemima comment with grace and held her diginity intact. She probably won the rest of the class over with her quick wit. Quite frankly I would have reported this to the teacher at the end of the day with my report and made a suggestion that the kid write an essay on Lincoln, or the underground railway. Perhaps a viewing of Amistad might be a good idea. This could be used as a teaching moment for the whole class, but let the regular teacher do it. The boy has to understand the ignorance of his remark...but in the classroom at that moment I think she dealt with it.
I recently heard a young woman whi os very strong in her faith, use the phrase, "Don't Jew me down." My husband and I were shocked and we did remind her that phrase wasn't acceptable; she was shocked that it was racist as she had heard it all her life in her cloistered world. It all comes down to ignorance and educating that these comments are wrong. But in saying that, we also have to consider sayings such as, "That's a stupid guy thing," dumb blonde jokes, "That's so gay," etc. As a person of German descent, I have endured countless idiotic Nazi comments - all are stupid and you'd be surprised how many come from professionals.
Post a Comment