Wednesday, 15 June 2011

Discipline / Punishment

In my opinion, I strongly agree to set up the discipline in a classroom, and students need to obey the certain rules in the classroom. However, the punishment for children should be considered preciously before we carry it out due to: the inappropriate punishment will only makes the situation worse and it hurts the relationship between students and teachers, and the wound will be hardly recover.

 

My aunt and uncle got divorced when my cousin was in elementary school; and my cousin turns from an all straight A student to a “very bad kids.”  Because of my cousin felt he had an “uncompleted family,” he never express any feeling or show any emotion in front of the teacher. At that moment, my aunt and uncle did not live together; therefore, the teacher could not communicate with his parents either. As the days goes on, my cousin became very quiet and easily to be irritated. He misbehaved frequently in the class, and had tough relationship with both teachers and his classmate. Sometimes, the teacher just sent my cousin to the principle’s office, and let the principle talk to him. On his report card, the teacher said, “we had tried every single way to help and teach this child; however, it did not helped, and we could do nothing more.”  

 

I was really sad at that moment too, so I came over, talked to my cousin. At the beginning, I just talked to him, and told him that he should do it, he should do that. However, after talking to him, I realized that nobody asked him how he feels and what he wants. Thus, I brought him to the science world, to see the hockey game and played cards with him. I tried to enter into his world, open his heart, listened to him and figured out what he wanted. 

 

He told me that he felt extremely ashamed when the teacher brought him to the principle’s office; and this is the reason why he hates to go to school.  Also, since my aunt and my uncle do not stay at home with him; therefore, he has nobody to talk, and nobody to play with. When he went to school, he felt like he was an “abandon” kids, and when he came back home, he felt like he did not belong to this world. The only way he could release those negative emotion was to misbehave at class, so they everybody would pay attention to him, and he felt he was not alone. 

*Right now, my cousin is in grade ten, and he is a happy, brave and outstanding kid again!

 

I write down my cousin’s story and share it here with everybody; and I wish the same story won’t happy again…. :)

No comments: