Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Contracts as natural consequences? (Lisa)

My first reaction is to view contracts as a progression of natural consequences. We have established that students will misbehave and that teachers need to have a full tool box of strategies that they can utilize to be viewed as "with-it" by their students. I believe that all students need to feel a part of the social fabric of the classroom regardless of their cognitive learning style as inherently we are all social beings. I still return to the idea that misbehavior is a communication of an unmet need. The juggling act as an educator is balancing the needs of the class to learn with the immediate needs of the student. I think we need to view interuptions and misbehavior as a time to reinforce our classroom expectations in a calm (at least externally) manner and with the intent to defuse and not escalate the power struggle.

I appreciate the list of classroom bumps on page 291 of the text and plan to photocopy it as a daily resource for my practicums. The concept of bumps is intriguing as they are merely delays in the daily life of our classrooms and not usually reasons for serious detours. I think the goal of classroom management should be to create a positive learning environment and much of that is social role modelling as well as academic theories. In using low key responses and squaring off we acknowledge the interruption in a friendly but formal way. When we move to the choices stage we are outlining our expectations and asking the student to take ownership of infraction. Once we move to power escalation we need to demonstrate leadership in the classroom and remain professional and ask for a resolution. One could argue that contracts both informal and formal are a natural progression of the child centered and caring teacher. Some students need measurable goals that they can attain to help unlearn unappreciated habitual behaviour. I can see that the informal chat is a way of establishing conversation and understanding between the student and the teacher. What is the cause of the behavior? What is the payoff for the student? These questions are key as they will lead to the substitution of positive strategies like classroom jobs, responsibility, free time (motivators that are student specific). I appreciate Courtney's post of using SMART goals ( Specific, Measureable, Achieveable, Relevant, Timed). Goals that are set by teachers are never as effective as those set by and agreed to by students. I feel it is our role to help our students build an internal locus of self control through individual and cooperative efforts. Students need to KNOW that their teachers are on their side and are committed to working together with them.

Formal behavior plans are more problematic for me personally. I have only seen them used a few times with SD students that spent some time in our class and the reaminder in a social development classroom. We had an established protocol for dealing with each student and were instructed to call the SD Teacher once the behavior reached a disruptive level. These were challenging kids with heartbreaking histories, learning disabilities and entrenched anger. I think it is our first responsibility as a teacher to admit when we are beyond our depth in a situation and then call in the reinforcements of collegues, administrators, and district personnel.

I appreciate that "teaching is a license to learn". While I knew that I would have alot to learn about curriculum and teaching styles I never appreciated how much I needed to look within to become the teacher I envision. Mamchur has opened up a new field of vision for me both personally and professionally. ..

1 comment:

Helen said...

Hi Lisa - I thought the same as you about photocopying the bump summary page - it is really helpful.