Wednesday, 1 June 2011

What is misbehavior?

Yesterday, I experienced three students misbehaving in psychology class; one of them cheated on another classmate's answer, and the other students were chatting to each other when taking a chapter quiz. Then, the professor called them and told them that their grades for the quiz would be 0. These students objected about what the professor said, but she never accepted their claims. She just explained in a calm manner that she asked us not to talk during the quiz before it happened. I was very surprised at that time. However, I was thinking about it deeply after the class and thought that the professor made an appropriate correspondence because she clearly mentioned the rules for taking the quiz before we took it. Moreover, she never compromised her rules. As my classmates commented, it is very important for teachers to tell students their expectations clearly from the beginning. And also, it is needed to stick to your own rules in order not to confuse other students. In this case, these students’ misbehavior was that they did not respect the professor or even other students. It is because they showed disrespect to the professor by breaking the rules and to others by disrupting our concentration while taking the quiz. I believe that classes make sense by having a good relationship between a teacher and students. That is why their behavior in the class was not appropriate from my point of view.

Some people say that it is important for a teacher to know why the students misbehave. I really agree with them about that because, in fact, students realize that what they did is misbehavior and intentionally behave like that. So the important thing for teachers is to understand exactly why they misbehave. Understanding a students mind is really necessary and helpful for teachers to care about students and to deal with their misbehaviors.

No comments: