Tuesday, 14 June 2011

The idea of discipline with intention is one that I value both as an educator and as a parent. Discipline to me implies a proactive or teaching orientation towards children while punishment for me entails reactive or retaliatory measures. The Goal of discipline is I believe, to instruct children on how they can balance their needs with those of a group, make positive choices and follow behaviour expectations. As adult role models we provide guidance and opportunities for children to build towards self-regulation, self-motivation and ultimately self-control. This is a developmental process that works along the lines of Piaget’s stages of moral reasoning from egocentric and rule oriented towards a more autonomous state where the child is able to comprehend multiple perspectives of thought. Many adults expect children to behave as mini adults and seem frustrated when they do not. In my time as an SEA I have learned that all behaviour is a form of communication, our choice I think is whether we choose to hear it as an opportunity for dialogue or as a challenge to our authority as the teacher.



I find the idea of punishment troubling perhaps because of the power imbalance it implies. I am altogether far less comfortable with the idea of punishment or the idea of censure. When I looked up the definition of punishment I found that the four fundamental justifications for punishment include: retribution, deterrence, rehabilitation, and isolation. I now have a far greater understanding of my own reluctance around punishment - cognitive type theory has reaffirmed that I have an aversion to conflict. In my second year as an SEA I wrestled with the difference between being polite and being nice. Polite means having clear expectations, being friendly in a genuine way, and encouraging thought and productivity. Being nice is trying to befriend students, avoid conflict and negotiate expectations. As a traditionalist (SJ) Mamchur characterizes me as practical, realistic, cautious and also determined, productive and result oriented (pg. 82). Reading the description I had to smile because productivity is definitely the orientation of my life (especially this semester). I do abhor when the people in my life "waste" time and now knowing it perhaps I can mellow out some. I think the power of reading Mamchur has reaffirmed for me the need to accept others as they are and learn from and with them in a spirit of cooperation.


In the language of B&S I think we can discuss discipline as classroom discipline as proactive classroom design - rules and expectations, plus the techniques of responding to misbehaviour that we have discussed. My preference would be to use the low key responses (proximity, touch, students name, gesture, look, pause, ignore, signal, address behaviour not student) as these are a comfortable part of my everyday repertoire as an SEA supporting students in the classroom. I feel much less comfortable with bumps 3 and 4 of the text and the need for more intensity and assertiveness. A teacher needs to set the tone and atmosphere of their classroom learning community. Teaching requires us employ many roles in the classroom: being a mentor and facilitator as well as the necessary disciplinarian aspects of monitoring and redirection.

No comments: