Well first off I'll start with how I don't believe in punishment.
Punishment can be left with parents and even there I would not use it lightly.
In a school setting punishment is pointless.
There's not a chance in a classroom setting that you can pull off the same degree of consequences of say a parent grounding their child.
In the end you are a teacher and really can you have lasting positive effects on a student if you punish them?
No matter how bad the child is there should not be a punishment.
Punishment to me is something you would do if you considered a consistent act of disruption from a student. But then again, as we discussed in my facilitation group, should we not treat all students with a fresh clean slate every day. I mean every day is a new day.
For me disicipline is much more appropriate in a school setting. Something bad happens, you punish the student and that's that, or you hope that it will never happen again. With discipline its more of a style of understanding and considering the hows and whys. All the actions of a student good or bad has a reason behind it. By understanding their reasons, you can open up a child more.
With the strategies of Bump 3 and 4 I believe you have to set it up very clearly for students that there will be discipline if disruption occurs. And you have to follow up with it something that is substantially plausible to the act that they committed. In our larger facilitation group, there was a sharing of how if a student was disruptive the entire class would get a break. This tactic did not work due to the student knowing that by being disruptive he can get a break. So teachers have to be mindful of how to discipline their students.
Again this would vary from case to case and student to student. Sitting them down and addressing them as a respectable individual and understanding their feelings is important. Stopping the disruption in the now and not the future does not really help either the student nor the classroom.
1 comment:
Can you have lasting positive effects on a student if you punish them? This a very relevant question as I would like to believe all teachers want to have a lasting positive effect on their students. How as a teacher would you like to remembered? I remember being yelled at on two occasions and upon reflection I think the teacher could have disciplined me instead. I remember the embarrassment I felt while the whole class went quiet. I deserved a rebuke and I think a quiet word after class would have worked really well. I do not want to be that teacher. Using the bumps and practising them will prevent me from losing my temper as well I believe my credibility. Once that is lessened it will be hard to get it back.
Post a Comment